Saturday, March 19, 2011

29 - Coin Collecting

Merit Badge:  Coin Collecting
Counselor:  Sam Lucero
Sponsor:  BYU Pow Wow
Earned:  March 19, 2011


                       WEB: What did I have to do to earn this merit badge?


I was pretty interested in the Coin Collecting
Merit Badge because when I was 8-years-old my dad
gave me this map so that I could collect all 50 state
quarters (1999-2008).

I'm only missing three quarters; Colorado, Delaware,
and North Carolina.  So, if you happen to come across
one of these quarters, PLEASE SEND IT TO ME!

For one of the requirements I had to collect a date set,
starting with the year of my birth (1998),
of a single type of coin.  

It didn't take too long to find all 13 years.

Since I don't live close to a U.S. Mint, I surfed around
on the web and found a virtual tour of the Denver Mint.
I like how they make a large clay model of each quarter
before it goes into production.

This is a close-up of Utah's state quarter.
Notice how the engraving is an illustration of
the Golden Spike Ceremony...pretty neat.



No comments:

Post a Comment